A little bit about John:
John has been a licensed, practicing lawyer in Utah since 1984—the intersection of business and law is his passion and where he focuses his practice and time. John has his Bachelor of University Studies (BUS), JD, and MBA from the University of Utah and, with over 30 years’ experience as corporate counsel, John’s degrees give him a unique perspective allowing him to provide experienced legal counsel while understanding your business’ needs at every stage.
John practiced at a law firm for over 30 years before leaving to form his own practice to give him the flexibility to develop innovative ways to deliver legal services.
Specializing in the needs of small to mid-sized tech businesses, John’s experience includes outside general counsel, business entity formation, financing transactions, trademarks and domain names, software licensing and development, IP ownership, and so much more. From simple to complex problems, John likes to develop strategies for branding in rapidly changing environments. He wants to improve how legal services are delivered and the needs of businesses are met.
John and his wife Janet have five children and eleven grandchildren. His children and grandchildren live as far away as Austria and as close as Salt Lake City. He is an adjunct professor at the S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah, is past co-chair of the Utah State Bar Innovation in Law Practice Committee, and serves as president of his homeowners association. He enjoys road biking, hiking, family history, mountain biking, reading, and traveling.
- Named Lawyer of the Year for Information Technology Law in Salt Lake City in the 25th edition of The Best Lawyers in America (2019) (only a single lawyer in a specific practice area in a specified location is named)
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America in Copyright Law, Information Technology Law, and Trademark Law (2018-2019)
- Named a Tier 1 Best Law Firm in Best Lawyers-US News Best Law Firms (2018)
- Named in Mountain States Super Lawyers (2014-2018)
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America in Copyright and Information Technology Law (2016)
- Named in Best Lawyers in America for Information Technology Law (2007-2016)
- Named in Mountain States Super Lawyers for Business/Corporate category (2014-2015), and Intellectual Property (2016)
- Recognized as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, by Martindale-Hubbell® with an AV Rating (2013)
Giving support is a tenet of John Rees, LLC and extends beyond providing services to clients and their businesses. As a way of giving back, a portion of gross monthly revenue will be donated to charity—the chosen charity for this month is the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation. Do you have a favorite charity you would like to share with us? Send and email and let us know.